The goal of this project will be to investigate the emotional dimension of movies, to further provide support for the classification, access, navigation and visualization of movie collections, not only including previous descriptors (genre, actors), but also emotions expressed in their content and felt by the viewers, during and after watching movies. This holds the potential to increase emotional awareness and empower future users to regulate their emotions when accessing and watching movies. To accomplish these objectives, there are four scientific challenges that we will address in the project:
1. Evaluate and select most relevant dimensions in emotional impact and predictors of enjoyment and gratifications from movies, understand viewer’s preferences, and the importance perceived in receiving emotional information. This will allow us to identify the most relevant emotional responses to use for the evaluation of the emotional impact, to inform a better support in emotional elicitation, movie classification, and access;
2. Capture the emotional impact of movies, as felt and perceived by the viewers, for classification and indexing. This will help future users to gain more awareness about the emotional impact of watching movies and allow to access movies based on these emotions;
3. Analyze and classify movie content based on the processing of three information streams: subtitles, audio, and visual video content, with a special focus on emotional information;
4. Conceive and create effective interactive access, navigation and visualization of the movies based on their content and their emotional impact on viewers, with the potential to provide insights based on the information visualized, and the users’ emotional profiles, choices, and states.
The project integrates the contribution from different lines of research and will provide additional information about the way our emotional subsystems react (subjective affect, physiological, and behavior). A final output will be the development of a main prototype, aimed at providing easy access and navigation of movies based on emotions. http://awesome.di.fc.ul.pt/
The selection of movies based on emotional dimensions can be used for entertainment, but also for education or health purposes, suggesting that our results can be relevant to a wide audience. Thus, the project also addresses the following societal challenges:
1) Health, demographic change and wellbeing: Emotions influence the way we think and act, our health, our happiness and sense of wellbeing, having a central role in our lives. Through the access of films and audiovisual content based on emotions, both expressed in the content and felt by the viewers, there will be provided support to regulate emotions, which in turn may allow to reach higher levels of health and wellbeing throughout life.
2) Europe in a changing world - Inclusive, innovative and reflective societies:
2.1. By taking the individuals into account and the potential to contribute to their wellbeing. We believe that these results could be relevant to a wide audience: the general public, as well as to psychologists, media experts, directors or actors.
2.2. By involving the audience and players in a way that can contribute to shared knowledge and services through innovative technology.
2.3. By providing the means that can contribute to support reflection about culture, identity, and impact, since the project aims to raise awareness about emotional impact, a central aspect in our lives.
|Instituição||País||Papel no Projeto||Data de Início||Data de Fim|
|Instituto de Telecomunicações IT-IUL (IT-IUL)||Portugal||Parceiro||2018-10-01||2021-09-30|
|Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa (FCUL)||Portugal||Líder||2018-10-01||2021-09-30|
|Nome||Afiliação||Papel no Projeto||Data de Início||Data de Fim|
|Nuno Piçarra||CIS-IUL [Comportamento Emoção e Cognição]||Investigador||2020-01-01||2021-09-30|
|Octavian Adrian Postolache||IT-Iscte [Grupo de Instrumentação e Medidas]||Investigador||2018-10-01||2021-09-30|
|Patrícia Arriaga||CIS-IUL [Comportamento Emoção e Cognição]||Investigadora Responsável||2018-10-01||2020-09-30|
|Código/Referência||Tipo de Financiamento||Entidade Financiadora||Programa de Financiamento||País||Valor Financiado (Global)||Valor Financiado (Local)||Data de Início||Data de Fim|
|PTDC/CCI‐INF/29234/2017||Prémio||Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia||--||Portugal||239396,80||61112,41||2018-10-01||2021-09-30|
Não foram encontrados registos.
Não foram encontrados registos.
Com o objetivo de aumentar a investigação direcionada para o cumprimento dos Objetivos do Desenvolvimento Sustentável para 2030 das Nações Unidas, é disponibilizada no Ciência-IUL a possibilidade de associação, quando aplicável, dos projetos científicos aos Objetivos do Desenvolvimento Sustentável. Estes são os Objetivos do Desenvolvimento Sustentável identificados para este projeto. Para uma informação detalhada dos Objetivos do Desenvolvimento Sustentável, clique aqui.